I insist on the buildbot profiler. What I was saying before is that you
need to hit the record button before the problem appears, and put a large
enough record time to be sure to catch a spike.
Then, you will be able to zoom to the cpu spike and catch the issue
precisely.

If the spike is in the order of minutes like you said, you can configure it
like this and get enough samples to get enough evidence to where the code
is actually spending time:

ProfilerService(frequency=500, gatherperiod=60 * 60, mode='virtual',
basepath=None, wantBuilds=100

I tried configuring this with the settings dropdown in the WebGUI plugin, but AFAICT it is not working, it only gathers info for 30 seconds.

I guess I must be holding it incorrectly.

This will record for one hour, and mitigate the memory used if you worry
about it.

--
Sincerely,
Yngve N. Pettersen