Claus Ibsen-2 wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 8:28 PM, erh<ehas...@transunion.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to use the JSP EL according to the example listed on
>> http://camel.apache.org/el.html
>> It claims that you can call arbitrary functions with camel's version of
>> the
>> EL, with the example shown being:
>>   <el>${in.body.replaceAll('id','orderId')}</el>
>>
>> However, when I try to use something like that, I get an exception like
>> this:
>> Caused by: javax.el.MethodNotFoundException: Cannot resolve method
>> 'replaceAll' in 'class java.lang.String'
>>        at
>> de.odysseus.el.tree.impl.ast.AstMethod.resolveMethod(AstMethod.java:67)
>>        at de.odysseus.el.tree.impl.ast.AstMethod.eval(AstMethod.java:97)
>>        at de.odysseus.el.tree.impl.ast.AstBinary.eval(AstBinary.java:97)
>>        at de.odysseus.el.tree.impl.ast.AstEval.eval(AstEval.java:42)
>>        at de.odysseus.el.tree.impl.ast.AstNode.getValue(AstNode.java:28)
>>        at
>> de.odysseus.el.TreeValueExpression.getValue(TreeValueExpression.java:121)
>>        at
>> org.apache.camel.language.juel.JuelExpression.evaluate(JuelExpression.java:63)
>>       etc...
>>
>> I didn't think that the JSP EL allowed for calling functions in this way.
>> It talks about defining EL functions using static java methods and
>> calling
>> them like this:
>>    ${fn:replaceAll(in.body, 'id', 'orderId')}
>> but that complains about not being able to resovle fn:replaceAll.
>> So, how is this supposed to work in Camel?
>>
>> I'm using camel 1.6.2-SNAPSHOT as of August 14th and juel 2.1.2.
>>

> Hmm are you sure about EL being limited to not invoke methods on objects?
> It could be as its JSP + JSF based EL and thus targeted for the web
> world which could have all sorts of limitations.
>
> You can use a more powerful language such as: Groovy, MVEL, OGNL etc.
> instead.

I know the standard JSP language doesn't allow for it.  I don't know about
JSF EL.  I'd prefer not to have to learn yet another language (nor try to
explain it to the other developers).
Clearly, someone came up with the example on that page in the first place,
so I'm hoping whoever wrote that might chime in with an explanation of how
he got it to work.

eric