But what you want to do is to store something into a store (e.g. a cache, database, file system,...) then make a lookup if it is inside the store, if not put it in. I don't understand why it should be more effort to write 5 lines route code than implementing it. There're 1000 use cases that could be eventually implemented into camel core, but I think the main value of camel is that it is that they are NOT there.

Best regards - Claus