Thanks I have tried your workaround and it does the conversion.
Unfortunately something worse is happening:

with this route and a String input my stomp client receives a reply:

from("activemq:queryServer?exchangePattern=InOut")
                                .setExchangePattern(ExchangePattern.InOut)

.to("log:it.giammar.pratobackend?showHeaders=true").unmarshal()

                                .to("bean:saluta")

.to("log:it.giammar.pratobackend?showHeaders=true");

With the route that I have posted in other reply (I do not repeat here) and
your conversion in String the stomp client does not receive anything.

Unfortunately I am not able to launch a web console to debug camel queues so
I do not understand what is happening.
The stomp protocol trace shows nothing.