We're running into an issue where messages appear to be stuck "in-flight" and
never leave that state.

If we shut down the server (we use a customized shutdown policy of 30
seconds), we see this...

DefaultShutdo I org.apache.camel.impl.DefaultShutdownStrategy$ShutdownTask
run Route: messageInRoute suspended and shutdown deferred, was consuming
from: Endpoint[jms://queue:mqin]
DefaultShutdo I org.apache.camel.impl.DefaultShutdownStrategy$ShutdownTask
run Waiting as there are still 2 inflight and pending exchanges to complete,
timeout in 30 seconds.
... (addl messages removed here)
DefaultShutdo I org.apache.camel.impl.DefaultShutdownStrategy$ShutdownTask
run Waiting as there are still 2 inflight and pending exchanges to complete,
timeout in 1 seconds.
DefaultShutdo W org.apache.camel.impl.DefaultShutdownStrategy doShutdown
Timeout occurred. Now forcing the routes to be shutdown now.
DefaultShutdo W org.apache.camel.impl.DefaultShutdownStrategy$ShutdownTask
run Interrupted while waiting during graceful shutdown, will force shutdown
now.
DefaultShutdo I org.apache.camel.impl.DefaultShutdownStrategy$ShutdownTask
run Route: messageInRoute shutdown complete.

... which appears that it has shutdown... but in fact, it has not. There are
hung threads and we have to manually kill the app server. Any suggestions
here? Also, why are messages stuck in-flight?