Yeah converting to a String is a good idea if the data is in-memory
only, eg not a 500mb file you read from the file system etc.

A side note:
Also the xpath engine from JDK is purely in-memory only. It cannot
split / evaluate in streaming mode.

You can find some links about splitting big xml files on the Camel
articles page for solutions to this problem.