Seems like the only way (without using a processor/filter/endpoint ) is to
use enrich.
I tried to use a file directly in setBody:

from("jetty:http://localhost:8123/services?matchOnUriPrefix=true";)
.log("Received Request\n----------------\n ${body}
\n---------------------\n")
.setBody(body().append(new File("C:\\devTestResponse.xml")))
.log("Sending Response\n----------------\n ${body}
\n---------------------\n")
.end();

this does not work. I infer from the documentation that setBody() is meant
to work with expressions i.e. scripts/xpath etc.. that work on the current
content of the Message.

This exercise is more academic than a real requirement - just seeing what I
can and cannot do within these routes. I can certainly live with pollEnrich
as is.
Thanks for all the help guys!

aloha
ala