Right now we have at least two components responsible for cache.
One is cache (based on ehcache) and sencond is hazelcast (based on
hazelcast).

The one based on ehcache in my opinion is starting to be deprecated. That's
because ehcache is full of statics hell and quite difficult to configure.
What cane be daone with hazelcast in just 10 minutes, with chache component
takes few hours and many wrappers, xmls etc.

Was also speaking with Henryk Konsek about camel-cache deprecation and the
idea that was found during our conversation was to create camel-cache2
component, that will work with different backends- hazelcast, ehcache, etc.
His idea is to get camel-cache2 component to be much more generic.
To do so, we should create unified API for cache2 component, that will be
implemented by each backend.

Also i think that camel cache2 component should not use so many headers.
Using headers for reading "meta data" is ok, but the fact i need to set for
example CamelHazelcastOperationType header to let the cache know that i want
to get or put data is a pain and should be done more friendly to user- for
example by operations in uri like in cache component.

So this is just an idea.
If someone who is responsible for camel project will agree with this idea,
then we can go to further.

Greetings
Piotr Klimczak