I am trying to move all policy processing into the camel layer of my system
architecture. In order to do that I have setup an example proxy in front of
a cxf service and moved policy processing to the a bus configured for the
proxy:

<beans xmlns="http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans";

        <cxf:bus id="busStop">
                <cxf:features>
                        <cxf:logging/>
                </cxf:features>
        </cxf:bus>

        <camel-cxf:cxfEndpoint id="proxyUserService"
                address="/proxy/userService"
                endpointName="us:userSoapServicePort"
serviceName="us:userSoapServicePorts"
                wsdlURL="classpath:service/user-soap-v1.wsdl"
xmlns:us="urn:healthmedia:wsdl:user:soap:v1" />

        <camel:camelContext>
                <camel:propertyPlaceholder id="properties"
location="classpath:user-service.properties"/>
                <camel:endpoint id="realUserService"
uri="${user-service.url}?throwExceptionOnFailure=false"/>
                <camel:route>
                        <camel:from
uri="cxf:bean:proxyUserService?dataFormat=MESSAGE" />
                        <camel:to uri="log:input" />

                        <camel:removeHeaders pattern="CamelHttp*" />
                        <camel:to ref="realUserService" />
                        <camel:to uri="log:output" />
                </camel:route>
        </camel:camelContext>

</beans>

The policy is executed and the assertion fails when the appropriate headers
are not sent in the request. This is exactly what I would expect.

HOWEVER... despite the fact that the assertion fails the proxy forwards the
call onto the actual web service anyway (effectually allowing the caller to
bypass the ws-policy altogether).

Can someone offer me a hint as to why? Is there a limitation to I am unaware
of when I proxy calls in this way?

Thanks!