I want to follow this up with a quick question and observation.

I've noticed quite a bit of difference in the examples created by the
archetype for 2.15 and 2.16 with 2.16 being far more stripped down.  But
both of them use a a deprecated API for part of their testing.  That's
something of a smell.

I like the properties mechanics a lot and I'm guessing that if my features
file installs a cfg file in karaf with the same name as the service it will
override the properties(?)

If I have a component label like com.foo.my.service.InvoiceServices would
karaf/camel pick up a com.foo.my.service.InvoiceServices.cfg file?

At first glance this all seems a bit more elegant to use if still a bit
loose in the joints with the implementation.