Not being a real JSON expert I can't help much.  I don't find the behavior
too surprising though as when JSON is marshaled/unmarshaled nulls aren't
usually passed from what I've seen.  I have a lot more experience with SOAP
and XML in Java than with REST/JSON and I'd have a better idea of how to
proceed in debugging something like that.  But with Java to JSON over REST
when I see results in SOAP UI many of the fields are not marshaled across if
they are null.  Cuts down on overhead I guess.

This isn't throwing an error just quietly ignoring the null fields?  When
you are creating that output do you use any marshaler?