Actually, you can (I wrote camel-mllp :-) ).

When the camel-mllp component is used as a consumer (i.e. a TCP listener), the
body of the exchange will be a byte[] containing the HL7 message.  You can use
the camel-hl7 data format to unmarshal just as you do when you’re using
camel-mina2 or camel-netty4 with their codecs from camel-hl7.

Note that you’ll want to be on Camel 2.17.1 if you want to try camel-mllp - I
found a couple of issues that were corrected in the 2.17.1 release.