Good luck. Creating packages is a build and you cannot pass the -Dnonoss
parameter in this case, so no VMWare support.  I have repeatedly asked for
help about this (and, truthfully, did finally get some response) but the
answer essentially was: "wait for 4.1.0".  I hacked together a 4.0.2
release with VMWare enabled, but I still cannot get it to work correctly.
 I finally had to use XenServer for now to finish my project and return to
VMWare when someone figures out how to build deb packages with VMWare
enabled. It has been an incredibly frustrating experience.

--Jim L.