http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5287220/is-there-a-way-to-only-install-the-mysql-client-linux

You need the client on any machine that wants to access a database on another machine.
You should not have to install the server on each machine.

You may also need a mysql connector.
I am not sure about this but watch out for errors accessing the remote database in case the app does not include its own connector and automatically configure it to find the remote database.

Ron