I just tested local storage qcow2 and CLVM resize on 4.2, they both worked.

Resize works like this:

1. Do sanity checks
2. Send resize command to the agent
3. Resize the disk/lun/file
4. Inform the VM instance that the disk has changed by making a
libvirt volBlockResize call (this is not fatal, some guest types can't
resize online and need to be restarted)
5. Update the database

You can check #3 looking at the disks themselves on storage to see if
they've grown. You can check #4 by restarting the VM to see if it
picks up the change.

It may be that libvirt was unable to inform the VM of the change (for
example if you haven't upgraded to a supported version of Ubuntu or
CentOS and it has an old libvirt that doesn't support volBlockResize).
 The way to know for sure is stop/start the VM if you can.

Look at those two things and let us know