Hi Adam,

I also run into the same issues with upgrade from 4.0.0 to 4.2, on test CS
installation, and was really pissed off, because of documentation is kind
of incomplete on the upgrade process, or at least really buggy.. but I
managed to resolve it for now !

1.
So if you want to try upgrade again (system-vm not starting issue), do it
as per docs, and then folow this guy's post, I did, and it worked very
well...
http://cloud.kelceydamage.com/cloudfire/blog/2013/10/08/conquering-the-cloudstack-4-2-dragon-kvm/(I
used method 2)

2.
BTW, than problem of management IP being used  (assigned to system VM that
were not working/starting, and after you destroy the system VM, it's IP
addresses still show in database) - the solution for this is the following:
Inside "cloud" database, table "op_dc_ip_address_alloc", delete values
(reset to NULL) of the folowing fields (for all rows/IP addresses that you
know are NOT assigned to any VM): "nic_id", "reservation_id" "taken". After
that, restart management server, and it will be all fine.

I do agree that CS 4.2 on CentOS is not production ready...

--

Andrija Panić