Are you really saturating you GigE link with only 5-10 users.

It sounds like you may be running out of IOs, SQL is usually a very write
intensive workload.

Junaid Shahid <shahid.jun...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks Todd!

Well I think the service offering is at 200Mbps.. Also I we are not using
any link aggregation at all. Let me float these ideas to my team. Thanks
for your feedback!

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 5:36 PM, Todd Pigram <t...@toddpigram.com> wrote:

> Junaid,
>
> what did you set the the network rate to in the exchange service offering?
> Depending on your backend network setup for that offering you may get
> better results with setting it to a '0' for unlimited. On my internal CCP,
> our SQL servers service offering has network rate to '0' as I am using a 4
> NIC LACP bond.
>
> just food for thought
>
> Todd
>

> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 6:37 AM, Junaid Shahid <shahid.jun...@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > We are running a mixture of Windows and Linux VMs under different
> accounts
> > on our cloud, that is based on CloudPlatform 3 (I know that it's a
> mailing
> > list for ACS, but I still need your feedback so read on please :)).
> >
> > The Primary storage is based on iSCSI with GigE link, and Xen hyperviser.
> >
> > Now the problem is that whenever we run Windows OSes with applications
> like
> > Exchange, Sharepoint and particularly MS Lync (that includes AD and MSSQL
> > as pre-requisites..), the GigE link to Primary Storage becomes so
> congested
> > that it affects the whole cloud environment. Nothing remains usable
> > anymore, the performance of Linux VMs also is affected in the process.
> >
> > So what does your experience say, what should we do:
> > 1)  Segregate the Windows VMs to their own cluster and their own separate
> > Primary storage.
> > 2) Use local storage for the "pre-cloud era" traditional Windows
> workloads
> > such as MS Exchange etc.
> > 3)  Is cloud environment feasible at all for Hosted Exchange and the
> like,
> > as Local storage that runs on the speed of the motherboard back-plane, of
> > course cannot be matched by a GigE link alone.
> >
> > Awaiting your valuable feedback all :)
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Junaid Shahid,