It also failed for me!
CloudStack 4.2.0 + XenServer 6.2 & VMware ESXi 5.0.
I did configure enable.dynamic.scale.vm = true, and install
XenServer/VMware Tools in the VM templates.
I also checked Dynamically Scalable option in registering templates.
On the XenServer side, I followed the instructions on wiki and this YouTube
video to set up Dynamic Memory Control(DMC).
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Dynamic+scaling+of+CPU+and+RAM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUtwGqhQD1M

Here're my results. I no longer have the detailed logs available.:
CentOS 6.4 / XenServer: CPU scale-up works immediately, but memory scale-up
requires a VM reboot to take effect.
CentOS 6.4 / VMware: ERROR: Requested memory limit is beyond the hotadd
memory limit for this VM.
Windows 7 / XenServer: ERROR: vm does not have tools to support dynamic
scaling.
Windows 7 / XenServer: ERROR: vm does not have tools to support dynamic
scaling.
Scale down: ERROR: Only scaling up the vm is supported. (This is expected
as wiki says)

I performed all these operations via UI, not API.

Yu-Heng (Ryan) Lei, Associate Researcher
Chunghwa Telecom Laboratories / Cloud Computing Laboratory
ryan...@cht.com.tw or ryanlei750...@gmail.com