From: Peter Jönsson <peter.jons...@klarna.com>
Date: 2014-01-25 09:43:55 +0000
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
<users@cloudstack.apache.org>,peter.joens...@gmail.com
<peter.joens...@gmail.com>,users@cloudstack.apache.org
<users@cloudstack.apache.org>
Subject: Re: packer for building cloudstack templates

Hi!

As my library for talking to cloudstack (gopherstack) wasn’t ideal I have been
waiting for a new variant. It was release yesterday:
https://github.com/svanharmelen/gocs .

I will take a look at this library and perhaps, if it is good, port over my
updates to packer to talk to this library. Then hopefully I can clean up my
changes and send a pull request to upstream packer.

In general the approach we take for templates is to built them from scratch.
That means PXE booting the instance, downloading kernel/initrd from a net boot
server, then finally starting the OS-installation through kickstart. With
packer this can be 100% automated via a special iPXE-ISO which will chain load
off the user data attached to the VM instance.

- Build custom iPXE with simple embedded boot script:

#!pxe
dhcp
chain http://${dhcp-server}/latest/userdata

- Boot up VM with user data attached with enough information to continue the
boot, e.g.

"#!ipxe\nkernel http://netboot/centos/6.3/x86_64/vmlinuz
ks=http://netboot/ks.cfg\ninitrd
http://netboot/centos/6.3/x86_64/initrd.img\nboot”

- After kickstart is completed we reboot the instance and continue setting it
up using packer provisioning scripts.

Things become slightly easier when only performing incremental template
updates. But then someone need to create the initial template of course.

// Peter