Lucian,

You were spot on. It is not supported. I've done similar to your work
around by giving a init.d script.

I've upload a automated system using packer for generating a OVA of a
debian x64 template to github
https://github.com/imduffy15/cloudstack-templates

I included a built version of the template for xenserver to save somebody
time in the future.
https://github.com/imduffy15/cloudstack-templates/releases

If people are interested I might build this out to generate KVM, Xen,
HyperV and vSphere images and add CentOS and Ubuntu.