> On Dec 5, 2014, at 11:08 PM, Tilak Raj Singh <tila...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Everybody,
>
> I am new to cloudstack so I dont know if I am going off the topic here. I
> wished to know how to setup Virtual Desktop Interface (VDI) using
> cloudstack. I browsed the net and found that openstack has the capabilities
> to setup this feature. Does cloudstack can be used to deploy such a
> service? If yes some links for the same would be highly appreciated. Also
> if cloudstack does not have that capability then is there some alternative
> to this?

Hi and welcome!  CloudStack can be used with Citrix XenDesktop and XenApp to
provide VDI services for users. It’s covered in the XenDesktop install/setup
docs (just replace CloudPlatform with CloudStack)

> Another thing I wanted to know is how to instantiate virtual machines
> automatically if the load is increased. Have read about load balancing and
> I guess its regarding this only.

If you mean for VDI, XenDesktop can manage this once connected to CloudStack.
If you mean outside of that setup, the phrase you’re looking for is
“autoscaling.” Currently it works with either NetScaler load balancers or
XenServer virtualization.

> The architecture I wish to setup is to provide VDI to several users on
> demand via browsers, where the compute is done on the virtual machines. Now
> when suppose 10 users are simultaneously using this Virtual Desktop the
> load on the VM increases so cloudstanck spawns another VM to share the load
> of these 10 users to 5 each on these two VMs created. I hope my doubt is
> clear.

Yep - XenDesktop will do that for ya. :)

John