What I needed to do in order to get it working is convert the image to QCOW2 (I
use KVM).

After that I have registered the template with SSH key enabled (You can also
enable this feature in the DB if you would like to avoid re-downloading the
template).

Once an instance was created with one of my ssh keys, I could login via ssh as
core@IP with the said keypair.
The template has also nicely expanded to fit my custom root disk size.

For future convenience I've added a daily jenkins job to build Cloudstack
CoreOS, they should be available shortly at:
http://dl.openvm.eu/cloudstack/coreos/x86_64/

HTH
Lucian

Nux!