Hi David,

I haven’t used GRE myself, but I do know that performance wise you need
something that offloads to the nic, as with vlan tagging (instead of having the
cpu do all the work). Did you consider VXLAN? That has nic offloading support
in most nics these days. We are using STT (also does offloading) with Nicira
and it is very fast. If I had to build again, I’d investigate VXLAN.

Regards,
Remi