You were exactly right and --tomcat7 solved the problem.
In fact there was a small note on the CentOS 6.5 quick start documentation that this flag could be used.
I was using this as a Guide but was altering my actions to handle CentOS 7.

I am not sure that this should be optional since 4.8.0 seems to include Tomcat 7 so you really do not have an option of using another version if you use the Quick Start Guide. It should be the default for the CentOS 6.5 Quick Install since there is no other version of Tomcat involved.

In the docs, http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-installation/en/4.8/qig.html the option should be in the command shown in the code figure since it is for a very specific setup - CentOS 6 and the stock 4.8.x distribution.

Thanks for your help.

Ron