Hi Swen,

You are correct – templates are not housekept on primary storage until all VMs
utilizing them have been deleted (have a look at this blog post if you want to
know a bit more about XenServer disk chains -
http://www.shapeblue.com/recovery-of-vms-to-new-cloudstack-instance/ ).

In short the problem you describe is something that hits most people who want
to do monthly template updates, and as you hint at it can really only be
managed with sufficiently sized storage pools, and if possible – by using
things like thin provisioning and deduplication, etc.

Other solutions would rely on you either running a managed infrastructure where
you provide an automated patching mechanism with e.g. Ansible /  Puppet / Chef
/ etc. – but this would in most cases mean you have to plan patching with all
your customers – something I doubt you want to do.

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect
ShapeBlue