Hi Daniel,

Yes you could do .1q at an interface level for the VR ( this is what we do with
KVM networking ). However this brings you a couple of stumbling blocks:

1) For you to trunk VLANs to this interface it would need to be attached to a
trunked vSwitch – which is currently all or nothing in VMware (by setting vlan
for the vSwitch to 4095) – i.e. you can’t set a vSwitch to only trunk certain
VLAN ranges. This now brings you a further problem – if you did trunk at the
vSwitch level you would have to configure your top of rack switches to do the
same. Again – this is possible – but when you consider that you *must* be able
to isolate all VLAN traffic on a per CloudStack account level – this would mean
you would need one or more ESXi physical NICs per account + a considerable
count of top of rack physical switch ports. So – you are effectively moving the
problem from the virtual switches to the physical ones, which while technically
possible is not feasible.

2) Your main problem is at the user VM end. If we agree you can’t expect VLAN
tags to be set at the guest OS level then the only other place to set this is
at the vSwitch level. Keeping in mind the limitations mentioned above this
means you need at least one vSwich ( = VLAN ) per VPC tier. Since there is no
way other than the all-in trunking mentioned above for the VPC VR to connect to
all of these tier vSwitches implementing .1q at the VR level would not work.

Keep in mind though – my points above are purely in the context of VMware and
VLANs – as soon as you step into the SDN world you move to overlay networks etc
where other mechanisms could be and are implemented.

 = =

Dennis – to answer your question as well – CloudStack speaks to XenServer using
the API. I think you have probably answered your own question though – as you
pointed out in your discussion forum thread all documentation says 7 NICs is
the max supported. If you do some testing and find the API can handle more than
7 then I would suggest to log a Jira ticket such that this can be implemented
in future CloudStack versions.

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect