Hi Tejas,

“DNS server is currently hosted in public network subnet which is being used by
all the tenants”.

Is this DNS server hosted directly on the public network and externally to
CloudStack, or is it hosted on a CloudStack isolated/VPC network with DNS
services port forwarded to the public network?

If the latter then we have seen a few issues around “hairpin NATing” – where
VMs on one isolated network isn’t able to access services on another isolated
network over the common public network. This has been found to be down to order
of Iptables rules on the VR. There were a few PRs to fix this issue earlier in
the summer – and I believe those fixes have been included in 4.9.3.

If the former – i.e. you are simply hosting a DNS server directly on the public
network then I haven’t seen this before, I would suggest doing some packet
sniffing to see what is going on on the network.

A couple of obvious ones which you have probably checked:
- Is the VR actually handing out the correct DNS settings to the clients? If
not it could be the DNSmasq DHCP service is unhappy about something.
- Any reason why you aren’t just letting the clients use the VR for DNS
forwarding, rather than going direct?

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect