Okay. So:

1) Don't use EXT4 with LVM/RAID, it performs terribly with QCOW2. Use XFS.
2) I didn't do anything to my NFS mount options and they came out fine:

10.100.255.3:/storage/primary3 on /mnt/0ab13de9-2310-334c-b438-94dfb0b8ec84
type nfs4
(rw,relatime,sync,vers=4.0,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,namlen=255,acregmin=0,acregmax=0,acdirmin=0,acdirmax=0,hard,noac,proto=tcp,port=0,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,clientaddr=10.100.255.2,local_lock=none,addr=10.100.255.3)

3) ZFS works relatively well, but if you are using it with SSD's you *must* set
the alignment to match the SSD alignment, and *must* set the ZFS block size to
match the SSD internal block size, else performance is terrible. For
performance, use LVM/XFS/RAID. *EXCEPT* it is really hard to make that perform
on SSD's too, if you have a block size and alignment mismatch performance will
be *terrible* with LVM/XFS/RAID.

4) Hardware RAID with a battery backup tends to result in much faster writes
*if writing to rotating storage* and only if using Linux LVM/XFS. ZFS does its
own redundancy better, so don't use BBU with ZFS. If writing to SSD's, you will
get better performance with the Linux MD RAID or ZFS, but note you must be
*very* careful about block sizes and alignment. Don't use a BBU hardware raid
with SSD's, performance will be terrible compared to Linux MD RAID or ZFS for a
number of reasons.

5) Needless to say the ZFS NFS shares work fine, *if* you've done your homework
and set them up well with proper alignment and block size for your hardware.
However, for rotational storage the LVM/XFS/RAID will be faster, especially
with the hardware raid and BBU.

My own CloudStack implementation has two storage servers that use LVM/XFS/RAID
for storage and one storage server that uses ZFS for storage. The ZFS server
has two 12-disk RAID groups, one made up of SSD's for a database, the other
made up of large rotational storage drives. It also has a NVMe card that is
used for log and cache for the rotational storage. I spent a *lot* of time
trying to get the SSD's to perform under RAID/LVM/XFS and just couldn't get
everything to agree on alignment. That was when I said foo on that and put ZFS
on there, and since I was using ZFS for one RAID group, it made sense to use it
on the other too. I'm using RAID10 on the SSD RAID group, and RAIDZ2 on the
rotational storage (which is there for bulk storage where performance isn't a
priority).

Storage is not a limitation on my cloud, especially since I have four other
storage servers that I can throw at it if necessary. RAM and CPU are, so that's
my next task -- get more compute servers into the Cloudstack cluster.