Hi Daan,

thanks for your reply.

The latest occurance of our VRs going to UNKNOWN did resolve 24 hours
after it had occured. Nevertheless I would appreciate some insight into
how the checkRouter command is handled, as I expect the problem to come
back again.
Am 21.06.2018 um 10:39 schrieb Daan Hoogland:
> Melanie, this depends a bit on the type of hypervisor. The command executes
> the checkrouter.sh script on the virtual router if it reaches it, but it
> seems your problem is before that. I would look at the network first and
> follow the path that the execution takes for your hypervisortype.

With Stephans help I figured out the following guess for the path of
connections for the checkrouter command. Could someone please correct
me, if my guess is not correct. ;)

 x Management Nodes connects to XenServer hypervisor host via management
network on port 22 by SSH
 x On hypervisor host the wrapper script
"/opt/cloud/bin/router_proxy.sh" is used to call scripts on system VMs
via link-local IP and port 3922
 x On the VR the script "/opt/cloud/bin/checkrouter.sh" does the actual
check.

In our case the API call times out with log messages
 x Operation timed out: Commands 1063975411966525473 to Host 29 timed
out after 60
 x Unable to update router r-2595-VM's status
 x Redundant virtual router (name: r-2595-VM, id: 2595)  just switch
from BACKUP to UNKNOWN

To me it seems that this is a timeout that occurs when ACS management is
waitig for the API call to return. At what stage (management host <->
virtualization host) or (virutalization host <-> VR> the answer is
delayed is unclear to me. (SSH Login from virtualization host to VR via
link-local is working all the time)

And it is unclear to me, why both VRs of the respective network stay in
UNKNOWN for 24 hours, are accessible via link-local but come back
immedately after a reboot.

I am happy for any suggestions or explanations in this topic and will
investigate further as soon, as the problem comes back again.

A portion of our management log for the latest occurance of the problem
is attached to this email.

Greetings,

Melanie