You can only start VM on the NFS Primary Storage (atm) from the
direct-downloaded template - it only works with NFS as Primary Storage as
far as my tests go, so you can't use this option with i.e. CEPH or
SolidFire - but is really nice anyway and can be improved upon request.

How it works (from my observations):
 - When you try to start very first VM from direct-downloaded template
(well, its not yet downloaded at this stage...) - Cloudstack Agent on KVM
side (java process) will start downloading the file from URL in DB to the
NFS Primary Storage mount point (avoids Secondary Storage altogether) - but
not before you start VM  (until this moment, it's just URL inside DB).
- On the regular Primary Storage mount  point there is new folders
"templates" (which didn't exist until 4.11.1 - i.e. "") and below is the
standard directory structure off /account-ID/template-ID/ (i.e.
/mnt/63a3ae7b-9ea9-3884-a772-1ea939ef6ec3/template/2/224/) - this just
holds the template until it's moved to the real Primary Storage location on
same NFS box (i.e.
/mnt/63a3ae7b-9ea9-3884-a772-1ea939ef6ec3/f1b7b620-4ce8-41e7-bd31-e9a464d4ab74
)
- Once very first VM deployed from this template, it's deleted from Primary
Storage /template/ location, since it now already exist on true Primary
Storage location with other VM images.
 - Later all new VMs from that same template are just child qcow2 images of
the main qcow2 file (qcow2 linked clones), as usual...

Nice stuff...

--

Andrija Panić