Hi all,

I've been working on fixing/refactoring VMware portgroup reconfigure on network
offering change, https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/5181
While working on it I found different portgroups on the same VLAN can be used
based on the different network rates used in the network offering of the
network and compute offering of the user VMs. Below are my findings:

  *   Network offerings will control network rate only for VR(s) and
non-default NICs of the user VMs.
  *   Default network rate for VRs and non-default NICs of the user VMs can be
controlled by global setting, "network.throttling.rate".

  *   For the default NIC of user VMs, the network rate is controlled by the
compute offerings of the VM.

  *   For the default NIC of user VMs, the default network rate can be
controlled using the global setting,"vm.network.throttling.rate".

So now my queries are:

  *   Is having VM-level (using compute offering and global setting for VMs)
useful? Having a higher network rate for VMs and a lower network rate for
VRs(network) will make it useless.
  *   Should there be a single portgroup in vCenter based on the network rate
of VRs/network especially in the case when the network rate for VRs is lower?
  *   Even while using different network rates, should there be consistency
across different NICs of user VMs? Currently, compute offering and global
setting only affects the default NIC of the user VMs.

Please share your thoughts and ideas. It will be interesting to know how others
configure network throttling for networks and VMs.

Regards,
Abhishek