welcome Matt,
I'll take a while to read ;)

When you call one machine the `gateway`, do you mean it is not acting as a
host but as a gateway to the outside world, and only the machine with the
management server is a host in the system?
Firewalls can be a pain, however the ports to open are really limited and
it sounds like you are not talking about this as an architecture for a
production system, so it is alright to completely disable them.
During enabling the zone, do you see any issues in the management server or
agent logs?

--
Daan