We have used both CentOS and Ubuntu. Currently we have standardized on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS due to Red Hat shenanigans with CentOS and for reliability reasons (Red Hat often broke Cloudstack with bug fixes for CentOS, Ubuntu has never done so). Once a version of Cloudstack is released that has been validated with Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and we have validated it ourselves we will upgrade to that.

We currently have one old cluster running CentOS 7 (soon to be retired) and a new cluster running Ubuntu 20.04LTS. Both are operating in the same zone and pod without a problem, Cloudstack allocates virtual machines across both clusters without a problem.