I just stood up a Ubuntu cluster and started adding hosts to it while decommissioning hosts from the Centos cluster and restarting virtual machines onto it. The whole point of a cluster is that it is homogeneous so that things like virtual machine migration can be assured to work. There's no way that Centos and Ubuntu are going to have identical KVM versions guaranteed to make things like virtual machine migration work, nevermind all the other environmental stuff that needs to be identical in order to make virtual machine migration actually work.

In short, you can do it using the workarounds others have provided, but the more reliable way is to stand up a new cluster with the new OS and manually shut down VM's and then start them up on the new cluster. Painful if you don't have the compute resources to do the move all in one service outage, but (shrug). It's the reliable way to do things.