Op 04-09-2023 om 17:13 schreef Granwille Strauss:
Hi

Thank you, in our case, we start our VMs at 60 GB, clients then can upgrade to 120 GB as the next upgrade. However, clients also have the option to "Downgrade" back to 60 GB based on their package. Would kinda not make sense to prohibit clients from doing that, from a legal POV. So this kinda creates an issue now and its good I tested it out now. I tried the 'qemu-img resize --shrink /var/lib/libvirt/images/<image>` and it seems it corrupted the image file. Not sure if it had to be converted first maybe.

Many providers simply don't allow for an upgrade because it's technically not feasible with QCOW2.

What you did is not shrink the volume, you only shrank the filesystem and partition.

I noticed that the images are not saved as .QCOW2 files, can you perhaps confirm what format they're currently in? I would like to run some more test and maybe see how well it goes and potentially propose a solution.

If you for example woud use Ceph with RBD you would be able to shrink the volume.

Wido