Paul,

On Mon, Feb 19, 2024 at 6:21 PM Paul Angus <p...@angus.uk.com.invalid> wrote:

> Hi Daan,
>
> Can you clarify what we are actually voting on please.
>
> In thread that is linked I've seen:
>
> "[the vote] will be to adjust to the semantic versioning system."
> - you can't go to 20 AND keep semantic versioning. The act of going to 20
> breaks semantic versioning [1].

We are using a crooked semantic versioning system and that is entirely
due to maintaining the 4 in our versioning scheme. We have been
changing and adding major features on updating the second number (20
to be). We have been using the third number for bug fixes and minor
enhancements. And we have been using the fourth number for emergency
security fixes.

So we are not maintaining semantic versioning but going to semantic
versioning by repairing our system of versioning. You could say this
is a minor bugfix.

> " drop the 4 at version 20 and continue as usual with minor and patch level
> updates as we have in the past."
> - what's supposed to come next ? in lieu of what would have been 4.21 will it
> be 21 ?  is it going to be 20.1 then 20.2 ?

Yes, exactly. Except for dropping the 4, nothing will change.

--
Daan