Hi Rishi,

There may be approaches you can consider;

  1.
Arch-specific cluster:
CloudStack assumes clusters are homogenous; so you can start with arch-specific
cluster - one cluster of x86 hosts and another one of arm64, within the same
zone. You'll then need to decide which arch you want to be standard as part of
systemvm deployment and must tag other arch hosts with some hosttag. This way
you can have for example systemvms always run on x86, but on arm64 hosts having
tags such that only offerings/templates matching the host tag are deployed on
it. Using service offerings + tags you can force which template must go on
which arch/hosts, and clearly marking which template is x86 vs arm64. However,
this approach can be brittle if someone (user) mixes offerings with templates.

  2.
Arch-specific zone:
The other option could be to have arch-specific zones; so one zone for x86 and
another for arm64 and you register zone specific templates to begin with. The
systemvm template would be tricky in this case; and for arch-specific zone,
before you deploy the zone for a particular type you can seed arch-specific
systemvmtemplates for the zone-specific secondary storage. For example, refer
the seeding steps for arm64 here -
https://rohityadav.cloud/blog/cloudstack-arm64-kvm/#storage-setup

  3.
Arch-specific installation (or region):
The cleanest approach could be you keep two separate ACS regions, or
installations; one for arm64 and another for x86.

I think if CloudStack can support architecture as a property in templates, in
future it might make mixing archs better. We also have an upcoming feature that
makes host tags strict vs non-strict and resource limit tags, which can be used
to enforce feature that accounts are allowed to deploy X number of VMs on one
host-tag (that could related to an arch) vs deploy Y number of VMs on others.

Regards.