GitHub user DaanHoogland added a comment to the discussion: External DNS
servers provided with use.external.dns disabled

@kriegsmanj , @hrak , very sorry that it doesn't behave as you would expect,
and we can certainly change it, but we'll have to do that in a backwards
compatible way as it is working for lots of other installations.

As a workaround you can configure your internal DNS server as external DNS
server as well, or not configure an external DNS for this network.

As for a changed functionality, I would suggest a threesome of settings:
`dns.enable.external`
`dns.enable.internal`
`dns.enable.vr` (which is basically the function of the current setting)
and mark `use.external.dns` as obsolete, or rename it as the description
suggests; `dns.bypass.internal` .

GitHub link:
https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/discussions/9030#discussioncomment-9295135

----