GitHub user weizhouapache added a comment to the discussion: External DNS
servers provided with use.external.dns disabled

> Even if this is considered intended behavior, it still seems wrong. Adding
> external DNS's that don't know anything about the instances in the isolated
> network to the list of resolvers returned by DHCP results in a broken DNS
> config for the instances in the isolated network.
>
> Any attempt to resolve another instance in the isolated network (say, a
> webserver looking for a mysql server) would randomly fail if systemd-resolved
> decides to pick another resolver than the primary (which it seems to randomly
> do quite frequently)

I have no idea how systemd-resolved works.  Is it possible to enforce the order
of DNS servers in systemd-resolved ?
Have you seen the issue in the VMs without systemd-resolved ?

> And the existence of [this
> logic](https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/blob/f41c934c94ad50e0bb3e51c26e52ac78196acd69/server/src/main/java/com/cloud/network/router/VirtualNetworkApplianceManagerImpl.java#L2055C1-L2060C43)
>  and the comment above it seem to suggest that this is not working as
> intended, as the code is not doing what the comment describes.

the comment means, the VR will not be used as DNS resolver, if
- VR does not provide DNS service, OR
- the setting use.external.dns is set to true

I agree with Daan that this probably needs a new setting.

GitHub link:
https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/discussions/9030#discussioncomment-9295134

----
This is an automatically sent email for users@cloudstack.apache.org.