From: Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl.INVALID>
Sent: Thursday, June 6, 2024 6:43 AM
To: d...@cloudstack.apache.org; Abhisar Sinha <abhisar.si...@shapeblue.com>
Subject: Re: [Proposal] Storage Filesystem as a First Class Feature

Op 04/06/2024 om 06:04 schreef Abhisar Sinha:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to propose supporting storage filesystem as a first-class
> feature in Cloudstack.
> The File Share can be associated with one or more guest networks or vpc tiers
> and can be used by any VM on the network in a shared manner. It is designed
> to be resizable and highly available. This feature can later be used as
> integration endpoints with the CSI driver, go-sdk, Terraform, Ansible and
> others.
>
> The draft functional spec is here :
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Storage+Filesys
> tem+as+a+First+Class+Feature
>
> Looking forward to your comments and suggestions.

I think this is great! Especially the Storage VM. Few things to keep in
mind:

- Have we thought about passthrough of FileSystems coming from the HV and being
passed through to the VM [0]
- The StorageFsVm, can we make sure it supports IPv6 from the start, best would
be if it. Make sure all the code at least supports this for ACLs and such. The
VM itself should obtain an IPv6 address when possible and open the proper ports
in it's firewall

Wido

[0]:
- https://virtio-fs.gitlab.io/