Rohit,

Your reply LGTM, a few more lines from me:
- initially the export is NFS, that's how users/VMs will consume it as, just clarifying, I know we want to keep this somewhat agnostic - while there is no agent running there, as you noted, most of the stuff can be configured either via userdata, udev rules or a combination of both - in terms of monitoring we could enable snmpd on the appliance and/or a prometheus system exporter

On 2024-07-05 08:01, Rohit Yadav wrote:
Proposed design doc largely LGTM.

I've some additional suggestions and feedback to make requirements & the first phase implementation more clearer and simpler:

  *
+1 on implementing it in a hypervisor and storage agnostic manner.

  *
Let's have the FS VMs owned by the caller (account or project), not like a system-owned appliance. It would then be just like CKS in that sense. This is because there is nothing special about the feature as in users can't do it, it's really for (a) users who want the benefit of shared storage but don't want to setup themselves and (b) orchestrate such a feature via API/SDKs/automation. Advanced users may not prefer to use it who want too many customisation and complexities.

  *
To keep the first phase simple, let's drop adding support for metrics/usage of FS VM and any other lifecycle that would need an agent or need for the management servers to SSH/manage the FS VM at all. Then, the scope can be limited to:
     *
Orchestrate the initial FS VM setup that can be easily done via user-data (config drive or VR depending on the network, cloud-init can orchestrate NFS exports), the FS VM's nfs service can also listen on all nics/IPs. This would make adding the FS capability to work out of the box if somebody want to attach the FS to other networks later (than the one it was initially created on).
     *
Keep it simple: as there is no agent or mgmt server access needed or required; any change to the FS properties or lifecycle could be done by a FS VM reboot or recreation, as the FS VM is stateless and a separate data disk holds the file share storage. For such operations, the UI can clearly mention a warning or note that such an operation would cause downtime due to reboot/recreate lifecycle operation of the FS VM.
     *
Suggestions for the Lifecycle operations:
        *
(*list & update API are given, should support pagination, listing by name/keyword, by network, account/domain/project etc)
        *
Create FS: initial user-data base FS VM setup (during initial setup, disk can be check/formatted + mounted with fstab rules)
        *
Recreate/restart FS: destroy & recreate FS VM, attach data disk before starting the VM (setup can check and initialise disk if needed; and grow/expand filesystem if underlying volume was resized).
        *
Attach/detach FS (to/from network): simply CloudStack nic/network attach/detach (worth checking if cloud-init or something in the systemvm template automatically takes care of nic setup in the FS VM)
        *
Expand FS size: this could be simply UI-based proxy to resizing data disk, but resizing would cause recreating (or rebooting) or the FS VM, for it to grow the FS (due to lack of agent or SSH access, this may be acceptable in the first phase)
        *
Delete FS: deleting FS with/without expunging the data disk; and for users to recover a non-expunged FS (similar to VMs)
     *
FSM states: FS should have states that correspond to the FS VM running and state of the underlying data disk
     *
Misc: Ensure FS VM is HA enabled, worth also either assuming some default compute offering or allow caller to specify compute offering for the FS VM.
     *
Network support: support all networks except L2 or networks which don't have userdata & dhcp capabilities
     *
Hypervisor & Storage support: agnostic

*FS = File Shares (suggested name)

Regards.