GitHub user rohityadavcloud edited a comment on the discussion: Define a
release schedule for the project

Github Discussions isn't the right place to discuss project governance related
matters, but may be used for discussions and to build initial consensus; it was
enabled only as a platform to support user-forum interactions. If the intention
is/was to only build consensus, then fine - but many PMCs and other
stakeholders aren't on Github (Discussions or follow activities on it
actively). Releases, project policy for changes, modernising codebase, I
believe there they must be discussed on the dev@ ML.

Personally, I think we've well-defined project bylaws and release process that
works for me (and perhaps many of us) and I'm not very interested 'currently'
to change them, but on convincing arguments I (and others) may participate and
help support proposed changes. We generally target two major and two minor
releases every year for the CloudStack project and sub-projects releases are on
need-basis. However, even if a hard policy of doing X releases a year was there
- who would enforce them, who would drive them? And what happens if we as
community miss that, I think there is no way to "ensure" or "enforce" that.

I appreciate the intentions but it's not practical to pull off or to "ensure"
it happens even if there was any policy, protocol, what have you, in place
whether it's around releases or disruptive changes.  Nobody is stopping any PMC
or committers to do a release or lead an initiative; but releases cost time,
energy and bandwidth, so many of cannot commit full-time on this to "ensure"
they happen but only make our best attempt. I wouldn't consider if Joao or
Daniel or others want to do more releases, go make it happen and update
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Releases

There are whole variety of good remarks and thoughts in some other comments,
but they don't converge on specific issues related to release schedule.
However, I sense some new features or improvements can enable better DB
upgrades via (new) framework/tooling that could assist better release
management and upgrades. The following is my views on some of the things
mentioned;

CloudStack indeed can benefit from codebase modernisation, and we're already
doing that. But it cannot be replaced overnight, such changes can only be
iterative and discussed on case-by-case basis as a separate
initiative/proposal/idea. Some changes may be beneficial but we would need to
be careful with changes that disrupt users upgrades, integrations and
expectations. Community is generally good at maintenance but not with new
features or disrupting the codebase in its entirety, which would require
willingness of sponsors and employers to fund their people's time and bandwidth
on such projects.

While we're still on 4.x, CloudStack of 2024 isn't same as that of 2012, it's a
massively different, polished and improved project & product with more room to
go. I don't think it's a bad thing. With what other opensource communities like
Python have done with the whole v2 vs v3 transition (and they continue to do
that within 3.10 and 3.10+), it's much better we don't disrupt the product too
much for our users. It has both the legacy and pedigree of a product, with its
features, benefits and issues.

The project is in its plateau of productivity so this isn't surprising we
aren't changing much, many of us largely users may not want major disruptions,
for users CloudStack must just continue work and continue to be boring. What is
practical for the community will most likely happen anyway, we must continue to
exercise patience, develop soft skills, learn to build consensus and support
and work with others to make such ideas happen. Coding is a small part in what
it takes to drive such changes and make them sustainable and acceptable for the
wider community.

I think any large project such as ours, in however, whatever standards it must
use is difficult to onboard new developers, we aren't unique in that way. For
supporting CloudStack development learning/training, we have a [self-learning
courseware for aspiring developers](https://github.com/shapeblue/hackerbook).
That said, I would encourage anything that helps improve CloudStack
adoptability by developers, but it's the users I tend to include more towards.

GitHub link:
https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/discussions/8970#discussioncomment-9747899

----
This is an automatically sent email for users@cloudstack.apache.org.