>>> Dejan Muhamedagic <deja...@fastmail.fm> schrieb am 09.02.2016 um 20:58 in
Nachricht <20160209195816.GD2437@walrus.homenet>:
[...]
>> Particularly, imho RAs should not run validate_all on stop
>> action.
>
> I'd disagree here. If the environment is no good (bad
> installation, missing configuration and similar), then the stop
> operation probably won't do much good. Ultimately, it may depend
[...]

Hi!

I think whether to use validate on start/stop/monitor is implementation
defined, but obviously with a illegal configuration start/stop/monitor can't be
expected to to something reasonable.
For an implementer of an RA it's simply tempting to use the code that is needed
(and present, hopefully!) for validate before trying to start/stop/monitor.
OTOH if validate is called on all nodes before any cluster change, there SHOULD
be no need to revalidate. Exception: If some node was added after the
configuration change.
Another question would be whether validate should check syntax only, or also
check the semantics. Questions like "will it work when I'll do that?" that
reference the future are always hard to decide (even if actually trying now),
however...

Regards,
Ulrich