Ken Gaillot <kgail...@redhat.com> wrote:
On Mon, 2018-01-15 at 12:40 +0000, Adam Spiers wrote:
Ulrich Windl <ulrich.wi...@rz.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:
But for a general solution, do you think it's more clean to have the same directory with identical properties in multiple packages, or to have one package that owns that directory?

This question is somewhat redundant in the context of this upstream mailing list, since each distribution will make that decision and choose a packaging strategy consistent with their own policies. The important point was the previous one, which is that rpm would support and handle these approaches correctly, so it's not of sufficient concern per se to avoid /var/log/clusterlabs. (I'm assuming that .deb does too, although that should be checked.)

Distributions can be stricter than what the rpm command accepts. E.g. Fedora package review guidelines (and thus RHEL and derivatives): "Packages must not own files or directories already owned by other packages." (with rare exceptions)

Interesting, looks like that is a deviation from openSUSE.

It makes my life easier to stick with /var/log/pacemaker :-) because I don't have to coordinate with all the other projects on the /var/log/cluster vs /var/log/clusterlabs question, and it will work on all distros without modification. But if there's a strong sentiment for a common log directory, we still have time to do it.

I'm fine with whatever you think's best :-)