Let me explain a little bit more about how my webapps are set up.  They are
deployed as 'exploded' directories, but using the standard J2EE webapp
structure.

So, we have these high level directories:

app.ear\admin.war
app.ear\publish.war
app.ear\ejb.jar

Within each of the .wars, we copy cocoon.jar and all of its required
libraries (including the avalon framework, etc), into WEB-INF/lib.

Trying to solve this problem, I copied these files (that were in
WEB-INF/lib, with the exception of cocoon.jar) into a single jar:
cocoon-libraries.jar, and
placed it in the main deploy directory.  The behavior I"m seeing when that
happens is also the same behavior as before, where I would get class cast
exceptions in ObjectModelHelper.
Note that this following behavior is the same as if I had placed it into my
app.ear/META-INF/lib directory.

Putting the libraries in my endorsed directory did not work either.

I thought that turning on the classloader in web.xml would help:

<init-param>
<param-name>init-classloader</param-name>
<param-value>true</param-value>
</init-param>

But when I try that, it cannot find ANY classes, including those in the
webapp's WEB-INF/lib directory.  I feel that turning on the classloader for
each webapp could be the solution to this, but each Cocoon webapp will not
initialize due to it not being able to find the classes in WEB-INF/lib,
which include my cocoon.jar and the avalon framework jars, amongst others.

Is there a special trick to getting this classloader to work?

thanks :)

Collin