Collin VanDyck wrote:
Trying to solve this problem, I copied these files (that were in
WEB-INF/lib, with the exception of cocoon.jar) into a single jar:
cocoon-libraries.jar, and
placed it in the main deploy directory.

I'm not really knowledgable, only from a cursory glance at the spec I conclude that classes loaded from the main deploy directory and from WEB-INF/lib are in different security contexts, and you can expect trouble.

Is there a special trick to getting this classloader to work?

The JBoss people should be more knowledgeable, actually they wrote this stuff. Perhaps you should ask there.

J.Pietschmann