Tony Collen wrote:
Jonothan Stribling wrote:

Hi All,

This issue is not so much specifically a problem with Cocoon, it is more
an environmental issue.
We use mod_proxy and Apache HTTP Server and proxy requests to Cocoon on
port 8080. The problem is that we need to detect the Client IP address
from cocoon and using request.getRemoteAddr() returns the servers IP
address because it is correctly identified as the client. This is not
terribly useful.

Can someone advise how how we can get the actual clients IP?  Does this
mean we cannot use mod_proxy and instead have to use mod_rewrite?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hummmmm, I think I remember running into this... I'm not 100% sure, but I *think* mod_proxy might add a header to the incoming request which contains the "correct" remote IP. Don't count me on it, but I seem to remember it doing something like this... perhaps checking the headers it sends would yield some more usful information.

Regards,
Tony

Kind of ugly though (even if correct) because that would force you to code towards mod_proxy. Can mod_proxy be configured to pass through the real IP? I've been using mod_jk but wanting to switch to mod_proxy but I have been holding off until I can test all these issues. Any experts out there? (Too bad Pier F. is off list for a while - he'd probably know right off hand)

Geoff