On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 10:40, joern turner wrote:
> Bruno Dumon wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 22:24, joern turner wrote:
> >
> >>Oleg Dulin wrote:
> >
> > <snip/>

> >>Chiba has a similar concept but without exposing xpathes of the instance
> >>(for security reasons). it uses a mapping between xpathes and internally
> >>generated ids.
> >

> > You're pointing out two things here already people might not like about
> > Chiba:
> > - it assumes stateful operation (most of Woody also works stateless,
> > thus without keeping any state on the server, which can be useful in
> > some cases).
> ok, that's right. Chiba uses sessions. but that has nothing to do with
> the XForms functionality. we can also decide to move it to a stateless
> model if this might turn out to be more adequate. this is not an issue
> of the XForms engine but of the embedding application.
>
> but anyway, thanks for the point - maybe we should evaluate the idea to
> move to a stateless model.

Note that I didn't say stateless is better, in some cases it is (simple
forms combined with high traffic) and in others not.

> > - it uses meaningless id's as request parameter names
> well you don't have to. you *can* use e.g. the xpathes for parameter
> names but we considered this a bit too much transparency.

Agreed, and xpath expressions encoded as request parameter names look
very ugly. Anyhow, the point is that Woody doesn't have this problem at
all.

>  this should be
> hidden from a user (even if a developer might like to see it). you just
> have the choice to expose as parameter name whatever you like by
> implementing an interface.
>
> but for us - we've been there and tried working with the xpathes for
> quite a while - security is obviously one reason to dislike it and it
> also bloats the output code with very long xpathes if you have a deeply
> nested instance data structure. this significantly increases the
> document size if you're editing medium size xml documents.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]