OK, I found line 710 but I guess that is the same for you.
The lastest version of AuthenticationContext.java is 1.12 at 30/10/03
11.06 with the comment 'Applying NPE fix again'.
The previous version is 1.11 at 21/10/03 14:36 with the comment 'Moving
to Serviceable'
When I make a diff between the v1.11 and the v1.12, only one line of
code has changed. The line #710 from
this.setXML(path, fragment);
this.authContext.setXML("/applications/" + applicationName + '/',
fragment);

In fact we have 2 loadApplicationXML, one public and one private.
The modification #710 belong to the private function #679-#714
But as you can see in the call stack the
DefaultAuthenticationMananager.login call the public loadApplicationXML
#892 and in this scope the application name is null.

org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Application is required the login
function of the Defau
        at
org.apache.cocoon.webapps.authentication.context.AuthenticationContext.s
etXML(AuthenticationContext.java:255)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.webapps.authentication.context.AuthenticationContext.l
oadApplicationXML(AuthenticationContext.java:892)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.webapps.authentication.components.DefaultAuthenticatio
nManager.login(DefaultAuthenticationManager.java:303)

Laurent