Hi Patrick,

I like what your thinking.  I've tinkered with this but didn't have time to
go it alone.  A tremendous amount of Cocoon is based on xml docs itself and
there are schemas defined in places like
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/cocoon-2.1/src/documentation/xdocs/drafts/
for at least the sitemap and esql(Maybe more or some dtds from which schemas
can be generated).  These could be used to show users the constraints and
options available.  Perhaps Java Bindings
http://java.sun.com/xml/jaxb/index.jsp could assist in this.  The problem of
knowing the options and constraints is not restricted to Cocoon but all xml
based technologies.  If the generated sitemap <webapp>.xmap of a webapp
includes the location of the sitemap-2.1-draft.xsd, then tools that make use
of schemas can operate on the xmap doc with assurance it stays a sitemap.
For any changes to the sitemap design as other versions 2.2? come out,
hopefully the application of schemas makes it easier to maintain your tool;
especially if your tool becomes Cocoon based:-)  Let me know if you pursue
this; maybe a sourceforge project till it incubates a little?

Just a thought...

--Roger

P.S. LeTourneau of (http://www.letourneau-inc.com/ & http://www.letu.edu/)
talks in his autobiography about how proud he was of one of his first earth
movers that as a young man he built in his home shop and demonstrated at a
fair.  Everybody was impressed with the amount of dirt he could move but no
one offered to buy one from him.  He was perplexed until an elderly
gentleman came up to him and said "Son  the way you jump, pull levers and
climb around, at my age, where can I buy a trained chimpanzee to operate
your earth mover?" He went back to his shop, rethought from an operators
perspective and built a successful business.  Well he went bankrupt and
broke his neck more often than a human being should but it never stopped
him:-)  It's a good read if anyone has the time.